Subscriber Services
Subscriber Services
Weather
Complete Forecast

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Hello! Welcome to my blog.

I'm Tom Dennis, and I'm excited about joining the blogging world -- a world I admire and every day enjoy.

Here are my thoughts about how this blog will work. As the Herald's opinion editor, I write the newspaper's editorials most days -- but when I do so, I'm always conscious that I'm representing the editorial board. That's the difference between a column and an editorial: A column is a writer's personal thoughts; an editorial is the consensus or majority view of an editorial board -- that is, unless the publisher exercises his or her prerogative and insists on a particular view.

A quick aside about that: I used to work at an editorial page in Pennsylvania, and heard a story there of how the paper came to endorse the first President Bush in 1992. It seems the editorial board members took a poll around the table, and the vote went something like this: "Clinton." "Clinton." "Clinton." "Clinton." "Clinton." Then came the publisher's turn, and he said with a grin, "OK, who's going to write the Bush editorial?"

Anyway, in MOST CASES an editorial is a consensus view of an editorial board. But columns are different -- and blogs are different, too.

Here, I won't have to mentally pass the entries through an editorial board screen. I'd call it "Tom Dennis Unplugged", if I weren't convinced that that would make most readers throw the nearest paperweight through their computer screen.

Actually, I'm afraid "Tom Dennis Unplugged" is likely to be a lot like "Tom Dennis Plugged" ... I'm reminded of a cartoon I once saw; it showed a bunch of guys in suits at a poolside cocktail party ... some of them sunbathing, some of them swimming, some of them jumping off the diving board but all of them in suits.

And this one guy is saying to another, "Who says Republicans don't know how to have a good time?"

So expect the semi-unexpected on this blog of notes about the passing scene. As for the Dunkin' Donuts reference in the blogger profile: There'll be more, much more, about that topic in the weeks and months to come.

7 Comments:

Blogger JGS said...

Welcome to the blogger world! Good to see more local blogs; did Tu-Uyen tell you to make one? ;)

Can't wait to hear your opinions about Grand Forks.

Good luck!

5:11 PM  
Blogger GrandForksGuy said...

Welcome to the Grand Forks Blogosphere, Tom! I've put up a post on my blog, Grand Forks Life, about this blog and I've added a link too. I look forward to reading this blog daily!

3:41 AM  
Blogger 2Hotel9 said...

Well now, if I had scrolled on down I could have done the proper intro thing, instead of jumping right in and muddying up the water. As I am wont to do. I am always trawling for new blogs, never go through listings other than other blogs blogrolls. I like local themed blogs, mainly because they give a much better overall veiw of many subjects, national,global, and local. In the end,all issues are local. I'm located in west PA, though this plastic box does allow a bit more scope, since I quit actively resisting the"Electronic Age" 4 years ago. I keep my workstation computer secured and anonymized and never surf with it. Laptop is an entirely different matter. I use it to toddle around the blogsphere and alternately aggrevate and enlighten people. I will try to restrain my potty mouth! Though that is sometimes difficult. Leftards bring out the worst in me. So. I will pass you along to my across the water friends and see how many actually comment. Do not take it amiss if they do not comment, they are rather reticent to speak out on things. In their home countries open, and argumentative, speaking out is not really encouraged. Though they are learning fast. Later on, Bro.

8:02 PM  
Blogger 2Hotel9 said...

And Tom, don't give in to that urge to make your own donuts. That usually ends badly.

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NSU - 4efer, 5210 - rulez

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://goldcookies.com/index.php
http://goldcookies.com/adware-free-removal-spyware-totally.html
http://goldcookies.com/adware-review-spyware.html

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Russia - forever!
www.goldcookies.com


http://goldcookies.com/index.php
http://goldcookies.com/kaspesky.html
http://goldcookies.com/manual-removal-spyware.html

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home